Mike G7TWC’s recent BERU (sorry, Commonwealth Contest)  report has persuaded me that its not too late to do the same…..
Although it isn’t in anything like the same league as the real BERU Travellers' entries, I decided to do a micro DXpedition to the Isle of Wight to operate from a known good site, right on top of the (rather crumbly) cliffs on the South West facing coast of the island. In fact two birds were killed with one stone…..my son and granddaughter came over with me so that they could visit their mother / grandmother who lives in Ryde, and worked their passage by helping me with antenna erection. More accurately I should say that my son Guy (who has no interest in the hobby – which shows that he has made at least one good life choice – but has been around amateurs long enough to know exactly what to do) was very helpful, but my granddaughter Moo, at two and a half years, was enthusiastic but unfocussed – but start ’em young…..

After ferry delays due to fog in the Solent, we set up the antenna (a Gap Titan inherited unused from my late chum Dave G3JJZ) on Friday afternoon in fog and drizzle. This proved to be a rather complex exercise, and it is fortunate that we had done a dummy run setting it up the weekend before at home under more benign conditions. I had decided to do the Restricted – SOU section to minimise the amount of stuff that had to be taken (as it was, the Volvo estate was all but bulging at the sides) so the station was fairly minimal with just the K3 and an elderly laptop running N1MM+ for logging.  As a result setup was quick and straightforward, so after a cursory SWR check (no measurable reflected on 20m and tolerable on the other bands – although I used the internal ATU to protect the PA devices) we retired to the local pub for drinks and a meal (the former purely to avoid dehydration you understand…).
Saturday dawned brighter. Things got off to a rather slow start (first QSO not till 1027) but perked up after that with QSOs with 9G5X and 3B8/G3TXF within 5 minutes of each other and my confidence rose somewhat. After that it was the usual ducking and diving between bands looking for QSOs. 10m was seriously dead – only heard one signal and that was a G calling CQ with no takers. 15m was not in good shape (single VK, a handful of Caribbean/East Coast Canadians plus a few exotica), but 20m was in moderately good form with a couple of dozen VEs – nearly all East Coast – plus 4 VK/ZL. Conversely the LF bands seemed in quite good shape, with a dozen or so VEs (all East Coast) plus a dozen VK/ZL on 40m and a handful of  VEs plus 3B8 on 80m. I may well have lost out significantly as I think my “off hours” were not optimised, compounded by the fact that I was on for 12hours 58 minutes…..with a bit more trimmming I could have netered the 12 hour section, Hum ho – a lesson there for next year. Finally it was all over, and  we came back to Blighty on Monday.
Final results were:BAND        QSOs
80m            15
40m            4420m            5115m            16
10m              0
TOTAL       126
This included one duplicate – a VK – and it’s the first time THAT has happened to me….

Two final comments:* I was interested to read all the other reports – but particularly the one from Brian C4Z……Brian has traditionally been one of the first, if not the first, station worked and I wondered where he had got to this time….well, his tale explains that for sure. Good show Brian!
* the presence of the multi Gx80CC stations, rather against my expectation, was a worhwhile improvement.
In summary, BERU is always enjoyable, but despite the indifferent conditions and the high number of repeats, I think this was, for me, the most enjoyable so far. Roll on 2018….

73, Quin G3WRR

Advertisements